Thursday, August 04, 2005

Getting excited about writing again...

I've been in such a weird place with the move and job search that I've really neglected my writing. What little time spent at the computer was used for promoting, and I'm guilty of neglecting that, too.

But there is a light at the end of the tunnel: I am a finalist for a job! I miss my husband so much right now and have come to realize just how much he makes my writing possible. He's thrilled with any reviews that trickle in (even the 71 from Mrs. Giggles - more on that later), he listens to my latest ramblings on plots and settings, and he makes sure I have time to plant my posterior in front of the PC and work.

The good news, besides the job possibility, is that I'm starting some new projects and feel that itch to frantically type out scenes and blurbs. Mae Powers is partly responsible - she asked me to take part in an anthology she's proposing. The series, entitled Jaded Animals deals with the signs of the Chinese zodiac. I picked tiger and have been obsessed with ideas and dialogue ever since. I visited the People's Republic of China in 1995, and I studied calligraphy and traditional ink painting while getting my BFA. My hope is to impart some of my traveling experiences into this story, tenatively called Taming the Tiger. While in beautiful Hangzhou, I tumbled through Buddhist caves and saw many temples. Makes me want to break out my photo albums right now. Thanks, Mae :)

I also have some longer projects in the works, hopefully to be picked up by Amber Quill. My goal is to see my work in paperback before 2006 ends. A girl can dream...

2 comments:

Eva Gale said...

I'm sure you'll make it a reality. :)

Silma said...

Uuuuhh... using the chinese astrology for stories... Cool idea! Have fun with it. *g*