Saturday, February 25, 2006

Nonspecific ramblings

TODAY'S MOOD: Saboteur
ALBUM OF THE WEEK: Midnite Vultures by Beck
FAVORITE LYRIC: "I'll leave graffiti where you've never been kissed."

Damn! Wish he would. Beck is a genius. When I first gave this a listen a few weeks ago (yeah, I'm a bit behind the times), it didn't do anything for me. But I tried it again, and, man, it's grown on me like a fungus.

Made some break-throughs in my current WIP, Topping Tora. This is the longest work I've ever attempted (35K -- stop laughing), and I think my voice is staying consistent throughout. That and logic errors are problematic for me when I write longer stuff. Here's the short blurb:

Tora Wolff and Jovan Creel didn’t ask to become the Nick and Nora of the BDSM world.

Too bad no one told the dead bodies.


It's an interracial BDSM murder mystery. Looks like I'm trying to hit all the sub-genres there. LOL I'm aiming for print publication with this one. Wish me luck.

So, why saboteur? I'm not exactly knocking myself out in the job search thing. We need the dough, but this time I want a job I want. Most of my job history evolved because I took the first thing I could get. I can do better. And I will, no matter how many freakin' peanut butter and jelly sandwiches we end up eating.

I just happened to remember one of my favorite sites, Dark Passage. If you're feeling a little rebellious, check them out. When I was in my late adolescence, me and some buddies would "explore" empty houses. The kind with missing roofs and No Tresspassing signs posted everywhere.

I liked the decay and seeing how people had left things. The tenants of these houses didn't pack. They left in a hurry or else the place belonged to an older person with no relatives to take care of the place. I admired the peeling wallpaper, the state of the kitchen, the smells...

Dark Passage takes you to creepier spots: Mental wards, sewers in Vienna, abandoned jails. Eerie, but it draws you in.

Cheers,
Laura

No comments: