Wednesday, May 03, 2006

It just ain't normal



I'm in the process of wrapping up Taming the Tiger, my paranormal novella for Midnight Showcase. It's rough going at this point for two reasons:

1)It's set in ancient China.
2)It's a paranormal.

The first one is tough because, as I go through and edit what I've written, pesky modern words and phrases keep popping up. I find it really challenging to stay in the right kind of mind-set to avoid these anachronisms.

The second, well, I probably deserve a beating from all the talented paranormal authors out there. For some fool reason, I've been under the impression that magic and psychic phenomena would be easy to write. Not so.

Making the unbelievable believable is awfully hard. How out there am I allowed to get? Can I honestly pull this off? Self-doubt creeps in and makes itself at home. But things have gotten considerable easier since I started thinking of the mystical stuff like I think of world-building for a futuristic tale.

As I enter the home stretch, wish me luck.

Here's how I imagine my hero, Zhong Li. In my head, though, he's older and a bit more built.



And here's my heroine, Ju Hua, as played by the beautiful actress Kathleen Luong:

5 comments:

Silma said...

{{{Laura}}} You can pull this paranormal story off. No sweat! Don't worry. Take deep breaths. And repeat after me, "I'm a great writer. I can do this." BTW, hot hero! He looks yummy!

Kristen Painter said...

Sounds like a fun read!

Crystal Jordan said...

Sounds fun! I love it. Good luck!

Two Voices Publishing said...

I love your 'cast' - they're gorgeous. Good luck, you can do it!

Shawn said...

Wooo! Hot dayum! I dont know who that pictures is of but boy is he lovely! Some great inspiration there! Good luck Laura!