Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Is that your final answer?

Well, I guess it is because today brings the final question(s) in my "Pick Laura's Brain" contest. This was funnest contest I've held so far this year -- thanks to everyone who participated! I had a great time :)

Today Rachelle asked: 1) How do you come up with a unique title to every story you write? And 2) Do you write even when your muse is on vacation? lol

Titles are hard to think up sometimes. Usually something either comes to me right away -- before I start writing -- or eludes me till the very end. Often I try to find a line in the story that kind of resonates with me (The Heart of a Hunter and Taming the Tiger) or I may find an object (Relic of the Heart) to wrap it all up. I seem to use a character's name a lot too (Topping Tora, The Andumi Effect, Chosen: The Chronicles of Winter, Lucky in Lust, and Chella's Quest).

And I've found it helps to pick titles starting with letters early in the alphabet -- those stories are at the top when certain reviews are announced ;)

For your second question, yes, I write whether the muse is sitting beside me filing her nails or whether she's out shopping. When she's gone, I find that chocolate and a hearty glass of red wine can work as good substitutes. She doesn't like to hear this, but, hey, a gal's gotta write. I tend to write lousier stuff when she's gone though, and it feels more like a job than fun.

Thanks for your questions, Rachelle! Now it's time to put all the names in a hat and pick the two winners... hold on... got one... and now the other.... Debby and Glenna!!! I'll be contacting you both tomorrow night (US EST) to see which title you prefer. Congratulations!!!

No comments: